Quick and easy weeknight meal!
One skillet meal
Cooking a good dinner at the end of the day does not need to be a stressful experience. Quick and easy, but good food is the way to go! We honestly cook and eat this meal once a week, and its a meal that kids will eat too!
In our house, smoked sausage is a staple. It thaws pretty quickly which allows it to be a last minute option if not planned ahead. We are fortunate to have a local butcher shop that makes great smoked sausage.
Using a cast iron skillet is an ideal choice for this dish. Not only is cast iron great at retaining heat, it is also very easy to clean. A common question I get is about the best size skillet to use. I really like the 12″ skillet. You can use it for both cooking and baking. It can also go straight from the burner to the oven! I recommend this skillet to buy.
(Homesick Cajun is affiliated with Amazon, but the price remains the same for you)
3 Basic Ingredients
Can it get any easier??
We like to add a can of Rotel tomatoes to the pan, just long enough to warm up. Lucky for us the kids don’t mind a little heat. Taste great without the tomatoes as well. You choose!!Print
Black Beans & Rice with Smoked Sausage
One pot meal for a busy weeknight!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: serves 4-6 people
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes, drained (optional)
- Preheat large cast-iron skillet on medium heat.
- Add sliced sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add drained and rinsed black beans, stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Stir in chicken broth
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling lower the heat and allow to simmer until rice is cooked about 20-25 minutes. Watch closely so the rice does not burn.
- Add can of Rotel tomatoes if wanting to spice up a little.
- Adding Rotel tomatoes (diced tomatoes and green chilies) is optional, you can also just add a can of diced tomatoes.
- Any 12″ lid will work to cover
- Very kid friendly recipe.